MIXED-SPECIES EXHIBITS WITH CARNIVORANS I.
Mixed-species exhibits with Bears (Ursidae).
This document purposefully focuses on creating a list of mixed-species exhibits with family Ursidae, for further and detailed information it is worth contacting the institutions mentioned below. Only a short summary of the general experiences is given here. Many of the listed coexistences are still ongoing at present; many of them are not anymore.Within the narrower meaning of the mixed-species exhibits this document deals with seven species of Ursids with an exception of the Giant Panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca).In the list below you can see which species have been kept in mixed exhibits in captivity:
- Brown Bear, Ursus arctos Linnaeus, 1758
- Polar Bear, Ursus maritimus Phipps, 1774
- American Black Bear, Ursus americanus Pallas, 1780
- Asiatic Black Bear, Ursus thibetanus Cuvier, 1823
- Sloth Bear, Melursus ursinus Shaw, 1791
- Sun Bear, Helarctos malayanus Raffles, 1821
- Andean Bear, Tremarctos ornatus Cuvier, 1825